The former headquarters of the Saarland Ministry of Cultural Affairs was designed as the French Embassy by the French architect Georges Henri Pingusson, and completed in 1954. The listed building complex consists of a nine-storey high-rise slab (the former embassy offices) and a high-specification two-storey low-rise building (the former residence of the Ambassador). The skyscraper was constructed in uninsulated reinforced concrete, and the low-rise as a mixed construction.
The whole complex required refurbishment due to massive damage to the existing concrete facades and to the diverse energetic and technical shortcomings of the buildings.
Veauthier Meyer carried out a comprehensive assessment covering historic documentation of the original construction, digitalized plans, photographic documentation with room schedules, and documentation of the historic building services. Based on this evaluation and on a number of expert opinions (concrete, building physics, building climate control, and technical services engineering) historically appropriate alternatives for renovating the façade were drawn up and compared.
- Hohenzollernstraße 60, 66117 Saarbrücken
- Ministerium für Bildung, Familie, Frauen und Kultur des Saarlandes
- Veauthier Meyer Architekten
- architectural and technical inventory, facades refurbishment
- 12.200 m2 gross floor area