The listed Baerwald pool is one of three urban pools built in Berlin by Ludwig Hoffmann in the early 20th century. The pool was completed in 1901, and, from 1913 to 1917, was extended with an additional "large swimming pool hall”.
After the Second World War the damaged large hall was rebuilt in a 1950s style, with Ludwig Hoffmann’s street facades being reconstructed as part of the rebuilding work. TSB eV have been running the swimming pool complex since October 2002 as leaseholders.
Thanks to the engagement and inventiveness of a number of members of the project team a partial renovation of the building, including the change of use of some formerly disused areas of the building, could be set in motion.
In cooperation with Veauthier Meyer Architects, the Berlin Energy Agency have prepared an implementation-oriented energy concept as a first step towards a full refurbishment of swimming pool halls. Additional funding is to be raised for the renovation based on this energy concept, which was coordinated with the Lower Heritage Conservation office of the Kreuzberg Friedrichshain district.
- Baerwaldstraße 64-67, 10961 Berlin
- Bezirksamt Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg FB Stadtplanung
- Veauthier Meyer Architekten
- Energiekonzept in Zusammenarbeit mit der Berliner Energieagentur
- 8.400 m2 GFA